Zuzu's Petals by Carina Spencer | All the style of a shawlette without the fuss of trying to keep it around your neck! This easy to wear cowl is designed to mimic the look of a shawl, casually worn as a scarf. The pattern starts out worked flat like a top-down shawl, and is then joined and worked in the round to the bottom edge. I call these hybrid patterns, “cowlettes.” Check out Second Chances (shown in photos) for a coordinated set.
Gauge: Numbers are provided for four gauges to accommodate fingering - super bulky weight yarns. Gauge should be measured in blocked stockinette, knit flat. Stitch gauge is more important than row gauge for this pattern, so if you can’t get both, use the needle that gives you accurate stitch gauge
- GAUGE 1 (for fingering - sport weight yarns): 21 sts & 32 rows = 4”/10 cm Suggested needle size US 5/3.75 mm or 6/4 mm
- GAUGE 2 (for dk - worsted weight yarns): 18 sts & 26 rows = 4”/10 cm Suggested needle size US 8/5 mm or 9/5.5 mm
- GAUGE 3 (for bulky weight yarns): 14 sts & 21 rows = 4”/10 cm Suggested needle size US 10/6 mm or 11/8 mm
- GAUGE 4 (for super bulky weight yarns): 9 sts & 14 rows = 4”/10 cm Suggested needle size US 13/9 mm or 15/10 mm
Finished Measurements: Pattern is for one size in four gauges with a little bit of added ease at the neck in GAUGE 3 and GAUGE 4 to accommodate for heavier yarn. Measurements are post-blocking.
- Neck Circumference: ~ 18 (18, 20, 20)”/45 (45, 50, 50) cm
- Hem Circumference: ~ 30 (30, 32, 34)“/75 (75, 80, 85) cm
- Mitered Height (center-front): ~ 16 (16, 16½, 17)”/40 (40, 41, 42.5) cm
- Height (center-back): 6 (6, 6½, 7)”/15 (15, 16, 17.5) cm
Materials Used: Yarn
- GAUGE 1 (for fingering - sport weight yarn): 220 yds/201 m
- GAUGE 2 (for dk - worsted weight yarn): 165 yds/151 m
- GAUGE 3 (for bulky weight yarns): 140 yds/128 m
- GAUGE 4 (for super bulky weight yarns): 125 yds/115 m
- Notions - 3 stitch markers & a needle for weaving in ends
Needle Size: see GAUGE section for suggested needle sizes for each gauge + one needle 2-3 sizes larger for bind off
Pattern Includes: Written & Charted Instructions
Skill Level: Intermediate
- Pattern is provided in English and Spanish (PDF download only) and includes charts and written directions for four gauges to accommodate fingering - super bulky weight yarns.
- A video tutorial is provided to walk you through all the tricky bits of the pattern. Watch it here on YouTube!
- Download also includes instructions on adapting the cowlette in worsted weight for your pet! I designed a hat to match this pattern!